Saturday, June 15, 2013

Patient counselling....How to do it?

Assalamualaikum brothers and sisters....
Now I would like to share with you about patient counselling.
This is indeed THE MOST IMPORTANT information to all pharmacy students to master it...
Why?It is significant in order to counsel our patients easily during our work as pharmacist in the future...

AS PHARMACIST,WE SHOULD use an interactive way to approach patient counseling through the use of open-ended questions. This allows the pharmacist to assess the patient’s understanding and fill in any gaps while respecting the patient’s time and knowledge.

For example a pharmacist should ask patients like these:

1. What did the doctor tell you what the medication was for?
 This question allows the pharmacist to prompt the patient to discuss the purpose of the medication in regards to what it is supposed to do and what problems or symptoms it is supposed to help.

2. How did the doctor tell you to take the medication? 
This question promotes discussion of how to use the medication. Concerns that can be addressed include how often the medication should be taken, how much is to be taken and for how long, and what to do if a dose is missed.

3. What did the doctor tell you to expect? 
This question allows the patient to discuss expectations about the medication including good and bad effects, what precautions need to be taken, how you will know if the medication is working, and what should be done if there is a bad reaction.




Questions that patient may ask:

1. What is the name of the medication?
2. What results may be expected from taking it?
3. How does the medication work?
4. What time of day should I take it?
5. Are there any special instructions on how to use this medication?
6. Does food have any effect on this medication?
7. Do alcoholic beverages have an effect on this medication?
8. How long should I continue taking this medication?
9. What should I do if I miss a dose?
10. Which side effects should I report and which ones may I disregard?
11. How should I store this medication?
12. How long should I wait before reporting if this medication does not help me?
13. Do I have to take special precautions with this medication in combination with any prescription medications, OTC, or herbal products?
14. Is my prescription renewable and for how long of a period may it be renewed?
15. Does this medication come in a less expensive generic form?
- Adapted from The Pill Book (Harold M. Silverman)



So dear future pharmacists (especially to me),we should have a complete information about the patients' medication so that they can be cured and have a better lives...

my MOTTO as pharmacy student is: CURE PEOPLE AND SAVE HUMAN LIVES !


No comments: